28 March 2017


I find I learn a lot from knitting up and following other peoples' patterns. One that has been on my to do list for a while was "Vera", a teddy bear, designed by Annita Wilschut. What attracted me to this particular pattern is, it is knitted on dpns and knitted in one piece. I wanted to use a variegated yarn and decided on Stylecraft Life dk Vintage Look, Indigo shade. I used needle size US 2/2.75mm, a smaller needle than that suggested on the yarn label, so that the stuffing didn't poke through the knitting. Any weight of yarn can be used with the corresponding needle size.

The pattern starts with the head and I decided to stuff it and add the features before knitting up the body. I liked this part of the pattern ...two purl stitches indicate where to place the eyes.

There are a lot of picking up stitches, so if your not a fan of that technique then this pattern is not for you. I found the edge of the paws tricky, it took me two or three goes, but I got there eventually.
Here is Vera waiting for the body and limbs to be stuffed.

And the finished Vera......

I must say I found it a great pattern, easy to follow and some great shaping with short rows. Particularly appealing if you don't like seaming or a lot of sewing up. It would make a lovely baby gift, if the eyes were embroidered. For more details of the pattern, on Ravelry click here.

Till next time, Ali.

4 March 2017

enchanted wood project

I decided at the last minute to enter the Knitting and Stitching Show, knitting competition. This year the theme is an enchanted wood and is a fundraising project for the Norfolk Hospice Appeal.

A wee while ago, I bought Fiona McDonald's book, "Knitted Fairies," with no thought of a project in mind, however, I used it this time, for inspiration and as a starting point for a pattern.

First I made a fairy, I had so much fun making her, doing her hair and dressing her. The dress has felted petals and ripped up chiffon.

Her hair was kid silk mohair, which I knit up on large needles, wet it, then let it dry and ripped it out, which gave a nice wavy effect.

I collect beads and sequins....I'm a bit of a magpie really, many bought in the various pound shops, so it was great to use them in this project.

The wings were made of angelina fibre and angelina film, melted onto a wire frame. I got the idea from a You Tube tutorial, by Disordiarte, for more details click here.

I thought she was a bit lonely on her own so made a pixie to keep her company.

                                     Here's a few more photos of my project....

If anyone is lucky enough to be going to Olympia tomorrow, have a look at all the entries, there are some good ones.
Till next time, Ali.